Largest kids comic section in the east bay. Our knowledgeable staff can help you find the right book for your child.
As always, we have FREE COMICS every day at the Escapist Comic Bookstore. First 2 comics on the sidewalk sale table are FREE. 50 cents per copy after that.
ESCAPIST COMICS BOOK CLUB
Sunday, December 17th 6:45 pm
Get together with a group of people who (like you) read comics and want to talk about them. Each month we discuss a different graphic novel. It is a great way to expose yourself to a comic that you might not have tried if were not for that friend who suggested it. The reading selections are nominated by group members and chosen by the group, and all of us are (yes) friends having met at the group.
This month we are reading:
By Chance or Providence
BY CHANCE OR PROVIDENCE collects BECKY CLOONAN’s award-winning trilogy: WOLVES, THE MIRE, and DEMETER, with lush colors by LEE LOUGHRIDGE and a sketchbook/illustration section. These stories cast a spell of hypnotic melancholy, weaving their way through medieval landscapes of ancient curses and terrible truths that will haunt you long after you've set them down.
by Becky Cloonan
Barring any scheduling conflicts, it is anticipated they Becky Cloonan will be skyping in for the event.
Our selection for the next month is
Stumptown Vol 1
by Greg Rucka and Matthew Southworth
Dex is the proprietor of Stumptown Investigations, and a fairly talented P.I. Unfortunately, she's less adept at throwing dice than solving cases. Her recent streak has left her beyond broke, she's into the Confederated Tribes of the Wind Coast for 18 large. But maybe Dex's luck is about to change. Sue-Lynne, head of the Wind Coast's casino operation, will clear Dex's debt if she can locate Sue-Lynne's missing granddaughter. Is this job Dex's way out of the hole or a shove down one much much deeper?
Matthew Southworth will be joining us.
Book Club Benefits include:
- Most excellent company
- 20% discount on book club titles
- ..and sometimes surprises
Escapist Comics Podcast
Have you listened to it, yet? LISTEN
Hosted by Escapist Comic Staff (Jessica Balboni and Jesse Hett), the Escapist Comics Podcast features reviews of the current week's comics and insightful and often comedic looks at comics today, comic book movies, tv, celebrities, and sometimes a bit of gossip. If it looks like a comic and smells like a comic, it's fair game. Many of the podcasts feature comic creator interviews. Those who have appeared on the podcast include Rick Remender, Brian Wood, Alex de Campi, Becky Cloonan, Matteo Pizzolo, Matthew Rosenberg, Babs Tarr, Jason Latour and countless others. (well maybe it's a number you can count to but that doesn't sound anywhere as good as "countless", does it?)
Death of Wolverine Contest update
We have a WINNER!
Congratulations to Anita!.
You had the closest guess to Sept. 27, 2017
Thanks to everybody for playing.
Your prize is:
- 1. A copy of Wolverine #1 by Frank Miller
- 2. A copy of Marvel Legacy #1
- 3. A Wolverine mini-bust
INDIE COMICS AND COMIC ZINES
NEW indie arrivals at the store...
- Alexa and Rutless by Jerimiah Suit and Joe Bilicic -
Part 3 of a sci-fi story that takes place in the bay area....$4.99
- Burrito Gun a collection of sketches by Ben Seto - by the creator of Skullbunnies... $25
- The Box by Jason Rose. Explicit content for mature readers. Full length CD by Butt Sacks. I think you get the idea. Be afraid... $15
- Varsity 7 by Jason Mendez and Ariel Lacci. Due to an accounting error a student does not have enough for his last semester of college, so he pulls a heist.
Three Comics by Fred Noland
Fred is an independent comic artist living in Oakland. He has self-published a number of great comics over the years. He recently dropped these off at the store.
- Major Taylor tells the story of the black American cyclist who won the world 1 mile (1.6 km) track cycling championship in 1899 after setting numerous world records and overcoming racial discrimination.
- 557: A story about riding in the 2007 Aids Life Cycle event from San Francisco to Los Angeles in 7 days.
- Black Sheep #3 continues his "Neighborhood of the Beast" series.Ivan and Fazul enjoy a boy's night out.
Check out all the fine comics that independent creators have been dropping off at the store lately. Try one of our 10 comics for $5 grab bags of older minis to sample a bit of that indie feel.
Creators! We have our consignment system in place. Contact us at hello at escapistcomics dot com ....... natch!
FIRST 2 COMICS ARE FREE. Next 10 are 50 cents a piece. After that 25 cents each. Sale applies to all comics in white boxes on the sidewalk. NEW COMICS HAVE BEEN ADDED and will be ADDED EACH WEEK.
There is one guy who is getting a lot of great comics. Why isn't that guy also you?
Don't miss out on your favorite comics
Come in and ask us about our
- We pull and hold the comics for you every Wednesday.
- Free bags and boards
- No minimum, but if you order 5 or more titles per month.......
- You get a FREE copy of Previews and ...
- You can pre-order from Previews and get a 20% discount on those pre-orders except for new comics and selected toys.