Largest kids comic section in the east bay. Our knowledgeable staff can help you find the right book for your child.
As always, we have FREE COMICS every day at the Escapist Comic Bookstore. First 2 comics on the sidewalk sale table are FREE. 50 cents per copy after that.
Walking Dead Day
Saturday, October 13th
Celebrating 15 years of the Walking Dead.
- Enter a raffle to win a Walking Dead Comic Book Box.
- Limited supply of special black bag variant covers of Walking Dead Comics.
- 20% off all zombie graphic novels
- 30% off recent back issue bin comics (Bring some old comics back from the dead)
- Free Walking Dead buttons (while they last)
- ...and, of course, our Son of a Sidewalk Sale.
Liam Sharp Signing Green Lantern #1
Saturday, November 10th
Liam Sharp teams up with writer extraoridinaire Grant Morrison on DC's comic Green Lantern. Liam will be at the store to sign this comic and more.
In this debut issue, when Earth's space cop, Hal Jordan, encounters an alien hiding in plain sight, it sets off a chain of events that rocks the Green Lantern Corps-and quite possibly the Multiverse at large-to its very core. There's an inter-galactic conspiracy afoot, as well as a traitor in the GL Corps' ranks, so strap in for more mind-bending adventures in this masterpiece in the making.
Local Comic Shop Day
Saturday, November 17th
This once a year industry event features special releases just for the day.
Special releases just for this day
- In-store sales
- Keep checking for more details
ESCAPIST COMICS BOOK CLUB
Sunday, October 21st 6:45 pm
Get together with a group of people who (like you) read comics and want to talk about them. Each month we discuss a different graphic novel. It is a great way to expose yourself to a comic that you might not have tried if were not for that friend who suggested it. The reading selections are nominated by group members and chosen by the group, and all of us are (yes) friends having met at the group.
This month we are reading:
Adapted from the Neil Gaiman book by P. Craig Russell and various artists
The story of a boy named Bod, raised and protected by ghosts in a graveyard with a guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living or dead. There are many adventures for a boy in a graveyard but, if he leaves it, he is in danger.
Based on the really great novel by Neil Gaiman. This is the perfect read for the spooky Halloween season.
Copies still available at the store.
Our selection for the next month is
Adaped from the book by Octavia Butler
by Damian Duffy (W) and John Jennings
"Finally. A graphic novel adaptation of Octavia E. Butler's mold-smashing science fiction book......"
- Nnedi Okorafor, from her introduction.
"This adaptation of classic science fiction / neo-slave narrative novel by Octavia E. Butler is required reading."
-Vice, The Creators Project.
There you have it. Required reading. You have to be here.
Book Club Benefits include:
- Most excellent company
- 20% discount on book club titles
- ..and sometimes surprises
A REVIEW AND TOUR OF THE STORE
If you have never been to our store, YOU SHOULD READ THIS REVIEW. One of our new customers has a blog and she really likes the store. She gives you a complete tour that will make you want to hop in that car, train, boat, or plane to get yourself here. Check her blog out at: GeekMomLife
INDIE COMICS AND COMIC ZINES
We love the small independent presses. We carry many of them, including a lot of local creators and and students studying comics at the California College of Art. You should check out our indie comic section. There may be something there for you.
Hey! We just got Rag #8 at the store.
Hot off the presses. Literary zine edited by Cassandra Rockwood-Rice.
Here are some other comics that indie creators have dropped off recently...
- 45 Days and How to Be a Fairy" by Shuchita Mishra - Shuchita is a student in the California College of Art graphic novel class. 45 Days($15) is a collection of her daily drawing improvs and How to Be a Fairy($6) is a collection of fairies and their quotes which have gotten her through tough times.
- Eric by Tom Manning - "Eric is visionary, suspenseful, funny, scary, beautiful, mind-warping, meaningful...In other words, it s a Tom Manning book. READ THIS BOOK!" -ELLIOTT KALAN Mystery Science Theater 3000, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Spider-Man and the X-Men... $15
- Jeff and Emily by Emily Scheffler. Another CCA student offers her tale of Emily and her friend, a large bird (possibly ostrich). It clearly states that Jeff is real in the beginning of the book, but. . . I don't knooooow.
- Nico's Fortune by Ryan King and Daryl Toh - We loved Ryan's last indie comic Totully Aces. NICO'S FORTUNE is a new horror comic about a couple of newlyweds, their strange cat Nico, and their even stranger neighbors. $10
- Diary of a Douchbag by Nico Harriman - From a local creator. The guy's a douchbag. Not Nico but the guy in his story. The guy's a douchebag but, occasionally, he would like to be less of one. $15
- The Archer by Nate Doyle- Three tales that connect around a single accident. Nothing goes well in these stories.
There are even fine comics that independent creators have been dropping off at the store lately. You can also try one of our 10 comics for $5 grab bags
of older minis to sample a bit of that indie feel.
Creators! We have our consignment system in place. Contact us at hello at escapistcomics dot com ....... natch!
Escapist Comics Podcast
Have you listened to it, yet? LISTEN
Hosted by Escapist Comic Staff (Jessica Balboni and Jesse Hett), the Escapist Comics Podcast features reviews of the current week's comics and insightful and often comedic looks at comics today, comic book movies, tv, celebrities, and sometimes a bit of gossip. If it looks like a comic and smells like a comic, it's fair game. Many of the podcasts feature comic creator interviews. Those who have appeared on the podcast include Rick Remender, Brian Wood, Alex de Campi, Becky Cloonan, Matteo Pizzolo, Matthew Rosenberg, Babs Tarr, Jason Latour and countless others. (well maybe it's a number you can count to but that doesn't sound anywhere as good as "countless", does it?)
FIRST 2 COMICS ARE FREE. Next 10 are 50 cents a piece. After that 25 cents each. Sale applies to all comics in white boxes on the sidewalk. NEW COMICS HAVE BEEN ADDED and will be ADDED EACH WEEK.
There is one guy who is getting a lot of great comics. Why isn't that guy also you?
Don't miss out on your favorite comics
Come in and ask us about our
- We pull and hold the comics for you every Wednesday.
- Free bags and boards
- No minimum, but if you order 5 or more titles per month.......
- You get a FREE copy of Previews and ...
- You can pre-order from Previews and get a 20% discount on those pre-orders except for new comics and selected toys.