Largest kids comic section in the east bay. Our knowledgeable staff can help you find the right book for your child.
As always, we have FREE COMICS every day at the Escapist Comic Bookstore. First 2 comics on the sidewalk sale table are FREE. 50 cents per copy after that.
Rare Bird Sighting at our sister store Dark Carnival
Though once widely seen across the globe, the Signing Gaiman has been a bit elusive in recent years. Last week one was spotted at Dark Carnival as this breed is known to frequent bookstores. An astute watcher got a photo of him leaving his mark on some books that are now available at both Dark Carnival and at our store.
ESCAPIST COMICS BOOK CLUB
Sunday, May 19th 6:45 pm
Gotham Central Volume 1
by Greg Rucka (W), Ed Brubaker (W) and Michael Lark, others (A)
The Eisner and Harvey Award-winning series pits the detectives of Gotham City's Special Crimes Unit against the city's greatest villains - in the shadow of Batman himself.
Book Club Benefits include:
- Most excellent company
- 20% discount on book club titles
- ..and sometimes surprises
A REVIEW AND TOUR OF THE STORE
If you have never been to our store, YOU SHOULD READ THIS REVIEW. One of our new customers has a blog and she really likes the store. She gives you a complete tour that will make you want to hop in that car, train, boat, or plane to get yourself here. Check her blog out at: GeekMomLife
INDIE COMICS AND COMIC ZINES
We love the small independent presses. We carry many of them, including a lot of local creators and and students studying comics at the California College of Art. You should check out our indie comic section. There may be something there for you.
Hey! We just got Rag #8 at the store.
Hot off the presses. Literary zine edited by Cassandra Rockwood-Rice.
Here are some other comics that indie creators have dropped off recently...
- 45 Days and How to Be a Fairy" by Shuchita Mishra - Shuchita is a student in the California College of Art graphic novel class. 45 Days($15) is a collection of her daily drawing improvs and How to Be a Fairy($6) is a collection of fairies and their quotes which have gotten her through tough times.
- Eric by Tom Manning - "Eric is visionary, suspenseful, funny, scary, beautiful, mind-warping, meaningful...In other words, it s a Tom Manning book. READ THIS BOOK!" -ELLIOTT KALAN Mystery Science Theater 3000, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Spider-Man and the X-Men... $15
- Jeff and Emily by Emily Scheffler. Another CCA student offers her tale of Emily and her friend, a large bird (possibly ostrich). It clearly states that Jeff is real in the beginning of the book, but. . . I don't knooooow.
- Nico's Fortune by Ryan King and Daryl Toh - We loved Ryan's last indie comic Totully Aces. NICO'S FORTUNE is a new horror comic about a couple of newlyweds, their strange cat Nico, and their even stranger neighbors. $10
- Diary of a Douchbag by Nico Harriman - From a local creator. The guy's a douchbag. Not Nico but the guy in his story. The guy's a douchebag but, occasionally, he would like to be less of one. $15
- The Archer by Nate Doyle- Three tales that connect around a single accident. Nothing goes well in these stories.
There are even fine comics that independent creators have been dropping off at the store lately. You can also try one of our 10 comics for $5 grab bags
of older minis to sample a bit of that indie feel.
Creators! We have our consignment system in place. Contact us at hello at escapistcomics dot com ....... natch!
Escapist Comics Podcast
Have you listened to it, yet? LISTEN
Hosted by Escapist Comic Staff (Jessica Balboni and Jesse Hett), the Escapist Comics Podcast features reviews of the current week's comics and insightful and often comedic looks at comics today, comic book movies, tv, celebrities, and sometimes a bit of gossip. If it looks like a comic and smells like a comic, it's fair game. Many of the podcasts feature comic creator interviews. Those who have appeared on the podcast include Rick Remender, Brian Wood, Alex de Campi, Becky Cloonan, Matteo Pizzolo, Matthew Rosenberg, Babs Tarr, Jason Latour and countless others. (well maybe it's a number you can count to but that doesn't sound anywhere as good as "countless", does it?)
FIRST 2 COMICS ARE FREE. Next 10 are 50 cents a piece. After that 25 cents each. Sale applies to all comics in white boxes on the sidewalk. NEW COMICS HAVE BEEN ADDED and will be ADDED EACH WEEK.
There is one guy who is getting a lot of great comics. Why isn't that guy also you?
Don't miss out on your favorite comics
Come in and ask us about our
- We pull and hold the comics for you every Wednesday.
- Free bags and boards
- No minimum, but if you order 5 or more titles per month.......
- You get a FREE copy of Previews and ...
- You can pre-order from Previews and get a 20% discount on those pre-orders except for new comics and selected toys.